Geoff at Christmas Dinner 2010
Geoffrey Leonard Barnard 1923-2013
Geoff went to the School in 1934 and left as School Captain in 1940. He was called up into the Indian Army in 1943. After the war studied at London University where he obtained an MA and a PhD. He taught at Stockholm University and then at The Stationers School before going on to the London Institute of Education as a Lecturer (1955-65). During this time he had various secondments to lecture in the Gold Coast and Tanzania.
In 1965 he became the Principal of St Katherine’s College in Liverpool (Teacher Training College) where he stayed until his retirement in 1983. During his time there he served as the Chairman of the Council of Principals. Geoff had a lifelong interest as an organist and even when he was at school was called upon to deputise for the Cathedral organist, HA Hawkins. In retirement he was co-opted onto the board of governors of the Church of Wales and became a Communar of Chichester Cathedral.
His connection with the Old Cicestrians goes back a long way. He arrived at the High School in 1934 when its first ever students were still at the school taking their University Matriculation exams. He became School Captain and became the Old Cicestrians’ President in the 1950’s. He was also instrumental in the setting up of the Association as it exists today by encouraging a small group of interested old boys to meet up with a view to reconstitute it. In 2007 Geoff was inaugurated as a “Fellow” of the recently established Liverpool Hope University, an honour for which he was justly proud and one which we as fellow Old Cicestrians can take great pride in his achievements.